UMSL will host its first Women’s Hackathon, sponsored by MasterCard and the St. Louis Women Executives in IT, on Saturday, November 8, 2014 from 8.00 am – 7.00 pm in 103 Express Scripts Hall. The focus of the hackathon will be to build a game, web app, mobile app, or desktop app to help organizations and communities prepare for effective response after natural disasters.
All current UMSL women students who have an interest in Information Technology as a career or are interested in learning more about Information Technology in general, are welcome to participate. By participating you will be part of a team of women students that will work with industry professional mentors to design and build a functional prototype application over the course of the day. You do not need to be skilled at programming. You will learn along the way and come out at the end of the day with a prototype application that you can be proud of and include in your portfolio to show to potential employers. Greatest of all will be the satisfaction of taking an idea from concept to reality. There is no cost and all meals will be provided.
Schedule of the day’s events
- 8.00 am – 9.00 am: Networking and continental breakfast
- 9.00 am – 9.30 am: Introduction and team formation
- 9.30 am – 11.30 am: Brainstorming
- 11.30 am – 12.30 pm: Lunch and networking
- 12.30 pm – 4.30 pm: Building a prototype
- 4.30 pm – 5.30 pm: Prototype presentations
- 5.30 pm – 6.00 pm: Awards ceremony
- 6.00 pm – 7.00 pm: Dinner and networking
For more information or to sign up for this great event, contact Dr. Dinesh Mirchandani at email@example.com or 314-516-7354.